Becoming an "Instant Public Speaker" takes practice.

Sorry; you've heard of over night successes? It took the Colonel for Kentucky Fried Chicken fame until he was well up in his years and after countless "no thankyous" to selling his recipe to finally becoming an "overnight success". Again, my premise to Instant Public Speaker is to just add "yourself" in the presentation; be "yourself" and when you open your mouth, you will be a public speaker, "instantly".

I’m sure that you’ve heard it said: “practice makes perfect”. Well, this is not quite so; perfect practice makes perfect. One needs to do all that is possible to have everything in place to practice perfectly. It’s hard for me to assist you virtually via the Internet as we are doing. However, the best way is to sit down and ask yourself questions such as “how can I make this by best speech ever?” How can I add things with my voice, with my actions and gestures, with my props and visual aids to add interest in this presentation?” How, how, and more “how” questions.


This morning during my “reading time” I came across this quote which certainly applies to our speech giving. Here it is. “Try a thing you haven’t done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And the third time, to figure out whether you like it or not.” See the correlation to what I ask my speaking clients by first doing a practice drill (several times), then presenting it “live” to an evaluator, and then thirdly doing it for the "main event"? What’s cool about this quote too is that it was advice given by someone who may be just a bit older than you. At 93 Virgil Thomson gave us those thoughts.

With my coaching students or anyone with life in general, some work harder than others. I think that I may “work harder” (hopefully not really harder, but smarter using “systems” and time savers) than other instructors in the college arena. And perhaps I ask more from my students because of this, but in the end, you are truly “stronger” and can tackle more of what your life throws at you; not just in the speaking arena but in asking for that raise, or negotiating a traffic fine, or persuading a young person to do better..

Here is a recent email from a student with my response:

Thank you for responding Ter. I have enjoyed (your coaching) because it challenges me.

My response:

Thanks; my pleasure. This ... will not only make one a very good speaker, but hopefully a stronger person.

………………………………………………..

I’m reminded of an ad slogan for the military and have added my own twist: “There’s strong, and then there’s ‘Army’ Strong… and then there’s Public Speaking!”

Stay strong!

Ter

PS. Here are some quotes.

To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. -Buddha
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. -Mohandas Gandhi
Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong. -Winston Churchill

Leave your comments stating your favorite quote from above and I’ll offer you one hour free speaking coaching (must be within 100 mile radius of Duluth Minnesota). Details at: www.terscott.com/speakercoach


http://b61ddfvzp6qg4rc5xft1fzxu33.hop.clickbank.net/

Comments

  1. Ter,
    I was a little nervous about this class in the begining because of my fear of public speaking. I have learned a lot through the quarter with your advice, this blog, and the reading materials that will be valuable to me throughout my career. I will now be able to recognize and alter my speech and it's presentation with the tips that you have provided.

    Katy B.
    Oral Communications Winter 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. The articles that I have read, have really helped me in doing speeches. I still need some practice and try to get over my fear of getting up in front of people but I think that throughout my career I will practice on having better speaking skills because I will be talking a lot and it might only be in front of one or two people but it could also end up being in front of a lot more people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found most of the articles here very helpful. Everything from the article about soft skills to the article about handwriting. I will take with me all of this information and keep working on my speaking skills throughout the remainder of my career. As you said, practice does not make perfect, but perfect practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moses did not want to do what God told him because he was afraid of speaking. Yet, at the age of 80, he led the Israelites out of Egypt.
    Just goes to show, that you need to practice and that no one is an instant public speaker. I know I have improved over the course of this class. I will take with me to my career, the idea of being prepared for an assignment and practicing often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ter,
    These blogs have helped me understand how to respond to others blogs and have helped me work to be a better public speaker, not only for speeches but also in everyday conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ter,
    The blog has helped me understand public speaking a little better. I only had to do a speech once in high school and had the worst time with it. After reading your blog, it helps me understand that practicing your speech several times can help alot.

    DeeAnna Patnaude Oral communications online summer-winter 2012

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for placing your comment! Ter Scott!